Monday, April 10, 2017

Distillation Progress

On Friday, April 7th, I went to school and starting my distillation. Unfortunately, it didn't go so well, and a some of the biomass ended up in my product. Usually essential oil steam distillations are set up as such:
In its simplest form, boiling water is placed underneath the biomass so that the steam will travel upwards, cook the plant matter, and carry the essential oils with it as it passes through. The water and biomass are held in two bulbous pieces of glassware that only allow a small stream of steam to pass through. Once through the biomass, the steam travels through glass tubing upwards, and then is directed back down through a condenser, that re-liquifies the steam and oil. This product then collects in a flask for later separation. The reason for directing the steam upwards and then downwards through a condenser is so that the hydrosol (water, essential oil, and various volatiles) stays pure, since it is separated from cooked plant matter. As the distillation progresses, the boiling water often turns a dark brown color because of the plant matter that is falling back down as it cooks and is too heavy to continue to the collection flask with the steam.

My distillation set up looked like this:
Because the biomass and the condenser were so closely connected, and the condenser pointed at a downward slope directly from the biomass, some of the cooked biomass leaked into my product. I prevented the boiling water underneath from turning brown because I packed glass wool in between to give the biomass a place to sit. I thought about placing wool between the biomass and condenser, but I was concerned that it would catch a lot of the oil. The distillation itself already produces such a small yield that I didn't want to risk minimizing it further. I'll have to re-distill my product, but I am also looking to build a better initial set-up.



2 comments:

  1. Sorry to hear that your first attempt didn't go too well. :( I hope your second attempt at distillation is more successful. Also, I'm curious to know what do you plan to do with the essential oil once you've completed the distillation process?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have no idea! I'm just doing this to see if I can, but if it works I suppose I could use it myself or give it to someone.

      Delete