Tuesday, March 21, 2017

The Budget

Before I started my internship, the EEC applied for a federal grant to fund the garden. Last week, we found out that we actually did not get the grant, so now our budget is down to $500. To make up for the lost budget, one of my advisors, Daniella, sent me a list of email addresses to ask around for plant donations. After emailing everyone, I got a few responses. Cathy Rymer, the water conservation coordinator for the city of Chandler responded first and offered a Superstition Mallow, which is now sitting in the EEC's office. And U of A's community garden program coordinator, Marina Acosta, told me she will not be able to donate transplants, but she offered to donate seeds. I have yet to pick them up, though.

Today I had a meeting with my advisors, Daniella and Ariane. We discussed garden plans and budgeting. We figured out a design for the garden, which has changed since the last post I made about the garden. It will no longer be in the corner, as I described. Instead it will be along the west fence so that some of the plants can get more shade and others can get more sun. Also, the space between the tree and the fence isn't that wide, so we would have had to sacrifice either garden space or walking space. Right now I'm drawing up a rough draft of how the garden will be organized. I will post the final plan later on.

No comments:

Post a Comment