Wednesday, March 15, 2017

Research: Initial Thoughts and Re-evaluations

Although I am already in week six of my overall project, I am still refining my scope and figuring out what exactly I'm going to present. Initially, since the internship provided such a great opportunity with building a sensory garden, I was going to do my research on the garden itself: how to pick the plants, how to take care of them, etc. It was more of a "come along with me and let's build a garden" type project, and I was going to focus on botany. But now that I've been doing so much reading into the processes behind sensory gardens and the application/usage of the gardens, I want to refocus my project towards analyzing how a sensory garden works (the chemical and biological processes), who it can benefit (its affects on people with various sensory integration disorders), and why it works (the greater relationship between people and nature). The re-evaluation of my project made me realize that there are much larger implications and opportunities for learning from the creation and usage of sensory gardens.

I am splitting my research into three categories with two subcategories each:

1. The scientific basis behind sensory gardens: chemical and biological processes involved in the interactions between people and plants

2. The application and usage of sensory gardens: physiological and psychological benefits of sensory gardens for all people (with an emphasis on sensory integration and modulation disorders)

3. The broader relations between humans and nature: philosophical and evolutionary theories connecting the changes in our relationship with nature to changes in culture

No comments:

Post a Comment