Monday, February 13, 2017

Herbs

Day Five:

So far, I've made a list and done lots of research on flowers, herbs, and fruit trees. I'm really excited to be planting a small herb garden within the larger sensory garden. I think the herbs will add a lot to the "sensory" theme, especially since they can be harvested and will be the main contributors to the garden's appeal to taste. The herbs I chose are mint, rosemary, lavender, basil, thyme, chives, and oregano. I want to plant three kinds of basil: thai, sweet, and purple, so that I can have a small pot or planter bed dedicated to just basil, since they need much more water than the other herbs. I also plan to keep mint separately because they can be invasive. I thought about having multiple kids of mint, like with the basil, but if I plant varieties of mint close to one another, they can actually start to cross-breed and blend scents. Since the overall garden is relatively small, I have also been thinking about how to creatively display the herbs and also maybe some of the flowers. I want to plant the herbs in a standing or vertical garden bed so that they are more accessible and are presented better than if they were to be sitting in a planter bed on the ground.

No comments:

Post a Comment